Saturday, March 7, 2015

Melissa Zexter

Brooklyn based artist Melissa Zexter combines photography and hand-stich embroidery to create layers of narrative and texture in a colorful way. She has an MFA in photography and redefines her practice by sewing on photographs. The use of embroidery is a way to over exaggerate or emphasizes different aspects of the images. The thread primarily acts as a connection between the person/place captured in the photograph and the artist herself.
This is something I might consider doing for the class exhibition if the paint does not work. I also think it might actually make more sense if I embroidered my baby/family pictures to show the connection and bond in the photographs. I really like her stitching process and how some stitching is very random while some are planned. The color and texture also makes the image pop more. Being able to see some of the holes where she might have made a mistake or changed her mind adds more to the photograph. The more I look at them the more I want to embroider instead for the show!



No comments:

Post a Comment