Paul Strand, 1890-1976, was an American photographer who was interested in using the camera as a tool for social reform. Strand developed an alternative to the classic portrait photograph of glamour and power. He wanted to make "portraits of people such as you see in the New York parks and places, sitting around, without their being conscious of being photographed...these people within an environment which they themselves had chosen to be in, or were in anyway." Strand would hide his camera lens and capture people unknowingly. Strand also enjoyed capturing the movement of a city. I enjoy Strand's portraits because I feel they capture people being themselves. I think an important part of a portrait is to have the person captured as who they are, so you can get a bit of an understanding of them just by looking at the photograph. I feel he also captured the feel of a city very well in his other photographs.
Post #11 - Sarah Jarad
No comments:
Post a Comment